Thursday, October 25, 2012

A New View

 
The last several weeks I’ve done more living than reflecting. I traveled for a variety of reasons and the time in between trips was hectic. But I took notes and now I am pleased to present a series on my adventures.
After a week with a virus that really got me down I felt a need for a change of scenery. Now that I’m a mom of two I can’t just hop in the car and take off. Well I could but I’d have to be back after lunch to get MP from preschool. So when KP said he needed to head in town to handle something at the office I hitched a ride. Now I’m in the lobby of a midtown high rise eating a sweet potato pancake. My view consists of glass and light and a perfectly still rock pool. And the pancake is scrumptious.
           Here’s the difference. Yesterday afternoon I was pulling through the Chick-fil-A drive thru with two young children, after a haircut for them both and before a stop at the high school junior varsity football game to watch one of my teenagers cheer. Today I’m sitting alone in this beautiful space. All around me people are going about their lives. A group of young guys in plaid shirts hover around a MacBook, discussing a proposal of some sort. Men and women in business attire pass through the lobby. Traffic rushes by. But for me, a respite in the middle of the city feels right.
I chose to stay home with my children. And I know I won’t – and already don’t- regret the decision. But every now and then I need to recharge. Sometimes it’s with nature. And sometimes it’s not. Today I’m right where I want to be.
I think we all need to remember that there are times when we just need to walk away from it all. I’m not talking about life-altering changes. This isn’t a plea for you to march into your boss’s office and resign, or to pack up and travel the world (although for some it might be what you need). I simply mean a breather. With school in session your next vacation may be a while off.  But that doesn’t mean you can’t do something out of the ordinary. For those who work full time at a desk, a day away from the computer will do you wonders. For those who live with the land, a visit to the city, a museum, or the theater may give you the rest you need. You could cook a new meal, try out a new park for your run, or call up someone you haven’t spoken with in a while. A break from the usual is good for all of us.
            Today I grabbed my chance. It will be brief, I admit. KP will be here any moment. But the beauty of it is that I’ll make it back in time for school to let out.

No comments:

Post a Comment